by Jeffrey Gitomer
Salespeople already know everything; the problem is they just don’t do it.
And sales is not about “knowing,” sales is all about “doing.”
I was speaking with a friend of mine yesterday. He said he saw Jim Rohn’s seminar 10 years ago and still listens to all his recordings.
As we talked, he told me that he had just bought his wife a new car. They had argued about how much they should spend – his wife wanted a better car and the cost of the car caused a big fight, but my friend reluctantly gave in and bought the more expensive car. But the begrudging, arguing and stomping around continued.
Now – I’m sure my friend listened to the Jim Rohn story of how to spend money and make it a winning situation. Remember when Jim’s friend threw money at his kids after an argument about wanting money to buy tickets and go to a concert and then Jim proactively went out and bought his daughters front-row concert tickets – before they asked? Both dads spent the money – but the results were miles apart.
My friend had heard the spending-money lesson three times but failed to put it into practice in his own life – the one place where it counted most.
In your personal development, it’s not just important to listen and learn. It’s more important to do. To take action on what you have listened to and learned.
In sales, “thought conversion” is critical. Converting the lessons you hear, the things you observe, and the things you know and believe to be true into positive action.
Thought conversion is also the single most difficult aspect of the entire selling process. Luckily (for you), the secret of thought conversion is integrated into every aspect and element of this lesson.
6.5 keys to convert listening and knowing to doing
1. As you take notes in a seminar, listen to a recording or watch a video, write down the key points that you want to act on. Taking notes ensures memory and affirms the belief that what you heard is worthy of taking action. SUCCESS KEY: Instead of saying “I know that,” ask yourself, “How good am I at that?” This provides you with an immediate picture of your present capabilities in what may be a crucial area of your sales success.
2. Post those proposed actions on your bathroom mirror (Post-it notes) to remind yourself every morning. Read them aloud twice daily as you look at them and smile.
3. Write on an index card the prime actions you need to take daily and put it near your money and your credit cards so that every time you spend you’ll have a reminder of how to earn more.
4. Visualize the change or accomplishment. The more you see it in your mind’s-eye, the clearer your plans become and the easier it is to create accomplishment.
5. Talk with others about what you want to accomplish. This affirms what you want to do and clarifies your thinking. It makes action conversion easier and more natural.
CAUTION: Some people will try to disagree or dissuade you from taking action. Always consider the source before becoming discouraged.
6. Take small daily actions. Achievement actions. Incorporate actions right away.
6.5. Feel great about “doing.” Tell yourself you feel proud of the accomplishments. Tell yourself you did it, you deserve it and you’re great.
Take lessons from people you know and trust. Make certain their philosophy is in harmony with yours. Make certain they teach social selling as well as face-to-face. Commit yourself to the lessons, and the success will follow.
Jim Rohn, or any professional trainer, educator or speaker, is only as impactful as the action you take to improve yourself once he imparts his information.
Excuse me for now – I’m going to take a lesson.
Jeffrey Gitomer is the author of 12 best-selling books including “The Sales Bible,” “The Little Red Book of Selling” and “The Little Gold Book of Yes! Attitude.” His real-world ideas and content are also available as online courses at www.GitomerLearningAcademy.com. For information about training and seminars, visit www.Gitomer.com or www.GitomerCertifiedAdvisors.com or email Jeffrey personally at email@example.com.
Submitted 5 years 210 days ago